When: SOLD OUT!
Wednesday, October 30, 2019 from 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Social Law Library, Boston, MA.
CPCS approved 2.5 CLE hours for the Post-Conviction, CAFL, Adult Criminal Trial Panel and YAD panels and 2.0 Mental Health Trials Skills credits.
Kenneth Bresler, Esq.
Staff Attorney, Massachusetts Appeals Court
• You probably know to use the active voice in your writing. But how do you spot the passive voice? When is OK to use the passive voice?
• Use one idea per sentence - generally, that is.
• Avoid nominalizations (“have knowledge of,” “have need of,” “make use of”).
• Ditch the synonyms. Pick one word and stick with it.
• Avoid common redundancies (“prior planning,” “future predictions”).
• Use “however” properly. (Many educated people misuse it.)
• Is it disinterested” or “uninterested”?
• Is it “flaunt” or “flout”? (Some courts get it wrong.)
• Is it “just deserts” or “just desserts”? (You won’t get this wrong ever.)
• Why there ain’t no such thing as “12:00 a.m.”
• Avoid the ambiguity of “12:00 midnight.”
An experienced lawyer, writer, editor, and writing coach, Kenneth Bresler has successfully presented these topics to long-practicing lawyers and law students alike. Consider sending your interns and associates. The seminar includes some easy hands-on, correct-your-own writing exercises.
Online registration is encouraged. For assistance, questions on group discounts, special billing, program content, out-of-state CLE credits, and general CLE information contact Michael Saporito at email@example.com. Space is limited. Registrations accepted in order of receipt. Same day registrations are $5.00 extra. Registration fees are non-refundable. Registrants for this program acknowledge that during the program their photographic or videographic images may be incidentally taken; registrants agree that the submission of their registrations for this program constitutes their written consent to the Social Law Library’s use of any such image in print and online materials solely for promotion of the Library’s noncommercial CLE seminars and other educational events and activities.